Thursday, August 26, 2021

I'm Too Tired to Hate

 When did America become a nation of hate and fear? I have seen attitudes change in my lifetime, but DAY-YUM, when did we decide that you either agree with me and mine or you are other than human? Its the height of hubris and as un-American as anything I have ever heard. Its not like we haven't seen it before, but did we learn nothing from McCarthyism, Japanese internment and unjustified black deaths?

It is my right to be wrong about what I believe, just as its is your right to believe differently than I do. Its is a right that every American has and a right I would lay down my life to protect. Let me say that again - I would fight and die for your right to be wrong. It is one of my strongest beliefs that everyone has the right to their own opinion, no matter how they came by it. I would hope that no matter how strongly I believe something, I would still allow the questioning of that belief if for no other reason than to support that belief. 

And I, me personally on my own, welcome that questioning from all cultures, races, religions, sexual orientations, educational, social and cultural backgrounds. If my belief is true for me, it should hold water across all these lines - not just because I think so. 

I'm tired of racism, sexism, terrorism - all just other words for hate. I'm tired of hate. It cannot heal, it cannot persuade, it cannot cross boundaries. It builds walls, dehumanizes, and cause pain wherever it is and can reach. 

I'm tired of fear being used to manipulate individuals and societies into hating other individuals and societies. Stop being afraid! (Dune Flashback: "Fear is the little death, fear is the mind-killer...") Try just taking a deep breath, putting your fear aside and listening to a voice that says something outside of what you believe. Why is that voice different? How did that voice come to say those words? What does that voice know that I don't? What do I know that that voice doesn't?  Let's exchange ideas without fear and hate. 

Let's just listen to each other. You don't have to agree, but if you'll listen, you'll understand.

No comments: